Monday, February 05, 2007

A shout-out meme

I'm starting a new meme. Whether it seriously circulates is another matter, but I'm giving it a shot. You see, recently we went through the most depressing day of the year. Moreover, almost everyone I know is sick - and has been for weeks. For many of us, the bitter cold is keeping us inside and isolated. If you're a Bears fan, you were disappointed at the Superbowl. And there's the general bad stuff in everyday news.

So here's the meme: shout out to the people who have helped you in gloriously unexpected, helpful, or just-when-you-needed-it-most ways. (I got the idea from Mary Louisa, and good friends' amazing generosity.)

My good friend Meagan has equipped nearly half my office in the last few months. Paying close attention to my blog entries, which mentioned a lack of cordless phone and my ancient PDA, she sent me new or gently used versions of both. I can now be productive without my phone's handset bopping the baby in the head, and still chase Hamlet. Moreover, my new blogging job requires me to have a digital camera. I almost jokingly asked Meagan if she had a spare lying around, then decided I'd sound way too much like a mooch if I did that. Instead I posted on a forum (to which we both belong), asking where I could get a cheap digital camera. And you know what? She did have a spare. And she's sending it to me.

Meagan's generosity is astounding, and her blog is going to be a good one - she's very passionate about the people and things she cares about. Meagan, you're a great friend - if you ever need anything, just give a holler!

Props also to my friend Becky - a former editor-turned-freelancer when she had her second child - who did something similar when she sent me the almost-new printer that didn't work with her new computer, just when mine had broken. She doesn't read blogs, but she deserves a shout-out anyway. She, like my dear friend Mary Louisa, listens to me whine a lot about working with two little kids at home. ;)

So there it is. I'm tagging anyone who wants to spread a little love around, make people feel good and show your readers that nice people still do exist!

4 Comments:

Blogger PT-LawMom said...

Aw, shucks, Christa. :) Thanks for the shout-out. I'm always happy to help, especially when I have perfectly useful items laying around that I'm not using. I just think you're so talented that you should have everything you need to help you make the best use of your talents.

Love,
Meagan

P.S. I do have a blog, but it's not very well-developed yet due to my uncharacteristic flip-flopping on law schools.

5/2/07 1:06 PM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Thanks for saying that, hon. :) I edited this entry to link to your blog (other than your own profile link) - can't wait to see what you do with it!

5/2/07 6:23 PM  
Blogger pattinase (abbott) said...

You are a breath of fresh air in the world. I shout out that I have the most spectacular husband in the world. If only he would shut his bureau drawers.

14/2/07 3:31 PM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Patti, that's so sweet! Mine is pretty spectacular, too. And leaves his dirty laundry everywhere but the proper basket. %)

15/2/07 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home