Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Reflux redux

I was really, really hoping to avoid it this time. To the extent that I cut dairy from my diet the moment Hamlet's little brother, at two weeks of age, started to spit up and generally seem uncomfortable with digestion. But alas, just a few weeks after that, we started to hear milk come back up the esophagus, and from there we escalated to crankiness (his and mine), and finally vomiting (his, not mine).

Fortunately, I have a pediatrician who understands that mothers are pretty good at diagnosing disorders they've already experienced, so all it took was a phone call to have a Pepcid prescription phoned in. Which is already working; the child is back to his normal good-natured self. And that's good, because we've run up against a few issues that require cash outlays. I need to get back to work sooner rather than later, and to do that effectively, I need a happy baby!

The good news is, it looks like the blogging opportunity is going to happen - more on that soon, I hope - and clients I worked for last year are asking when my maternity leave is up. It's good to be in demand.

4 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

When I had heartburn troubles I was also told to lay off citrus, tomatoes and coffee. Chances are the little fella doesn't have a lot of coffee, though. And I suppose you already know the rest, but I thought I'd share.

Oh, and a happy new year to you!

10/1/07 5:48 PM  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

When The Girl had reflux as an infant, I convinced my pediatrician and my physician husband that she actually had an emergent condition call intersusception (hope that's spelled right). Me bundled up The Boy and hightailed it to the pediatric emergency room where I made such a fuss they saw us immediately and got her an xray, which, of course, was normal. The Girl passed gas and felt better immediately.

wasn't a complete waste, though. Turned out she had thrush. Neither I nor my husband had noticed.

Oops.

10/1/07 9:30 PM  
Blogger Mary Louisa said...

Hope baby gets better really soon, Christa. And I hope you get some quality time to do more of your awesome writing! Congrats on the end of maternity leave and the return of the job opps.

13/1/07 9:53 PM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Daniel, I had to avoid those with the last kid, but (so far) not with this one. I think it's because we caught it in time, whereas the older one had it for weeks before we got a clue.

Mindy, great story! I probably could've gotten away with that with the first kid (worse case) but not this one. And, yeesh, thrush... I think I'd rather have mastitis!

ML, he's doing better. The dietary restrictions are harder on me this time around, but he's definitely not as spitty as he was!

15/1/07 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home