Friday, September 01, 2006

The first day of preschool

We weren't going to send Hamlet to preschool this year. Neither of us thought he was ready for it; we thought that, because he'd be one of the youngest kids in the class (he's a July baby), he'd be behind. We held that assumption right up till this past spring, when I took him to the playground and... he actually started interacting with other children.

Long story short, he proved himself over the summer to be more than ready for preschool. We found one that provides age-appropriate activities to promote literacy and socialization both, and off he went. Never looked back, in fact. It wasn't unlike Jeff Shelby's experience with his little daughter.

Me? I got 2 hours to work in peace. And although I would've liked to have been there to see how his first day went, I didn't feel guilty about leaving him behind. It seems we both needed this time. Now I just have to try not to get used to it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

"Never looked back, in fact"?

Boy, does he take after his mother.... ;-)

1/9/06 11:01 AM  
Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, you'll get used to it, all right!

My daughter went back this week; she IS the youngest in the class but, like her brother before her, doesn't let that stop her or hold her down in any way.

I envy you the writing time, though. I have to spend my preschool time at the gym.

9/9/06 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home