Sunday, November 19, 2006

Distractions

In an effort to stop thinking about the prodromal labor I've experienced for the last week (preceded by pre-labor for three weeks - isn't nature fun? And so unpredictable!), these are the things that have been floating around my mind:

My website. Nearly a year ago, Sandra designed a really nice one for me. Which I never put up. Recently I discovered that the account I was using to host it was deactivated. So now, not only do I need to re-register my domain name and put together the website, I now need low-cost hosting. Which leads me to my second issue:

Finances. When I had Hamlet, I planned on taking 12 weeks off before I returned to work. That would give me plenty of time to get into a routine, right? Wrong. He developed a milk protein allergy and a soy protein sensitivity around 6 weeks. This took us weeks to correct, then the holidays came along. By the time all was resolved, I'd had 6 months off from work, which really put a financial hurtin' on us.

We recovered, but the whole thing has me wondering about work post-Hamlet's little brother. I have a regular gig for one of my "anchor" trade magazines, and the editor I worked for last spring is hoping I'll be back to work for her again soon. That leaves the client I've had a bit of trouble with, between late payments and the fact that freelancing can make communication - via phone or email - very difficult at times. Still, the money is good, so I need to think on that a little more. Especially if I have to pay for website hosting.

Speaking of Hamlet's little brother, I need a "blog name" idea, but I'm too lazy to go looking in my book o' Shakespeare for one. I had thought of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, but typing those out every time I want to talk about them? Again: lazy. Plus not particularly inspiring. I'm taking ideas, but unfortunately can't offer a contest. You'd be making suggestions from the goodness of your heart.

Meanwhile: waiting waiting waiting!

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Blackmoore said...

As to the hosting there are a lot of cheap, decent sites. If you're just looking for a site without bells and whistles there's the one I use, Total Choice Hosting (http://totalchoicehosting.com/web-hosting-plans.html). They have a starter package for $4.00 / month or $44.00 a year.

There's also Godaddy.com (https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/shared.asp?se=%2B&ci=260), which is a few bucks cheaper.

They both do domain registration for cheap (between 9 and 11 bucks, I think).

As to the blog name, I can't help you there. I'm all out of creativity this morning. Sorry.

19/11/06 12:34 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Ugh, still waiting?! I just hope he doesn't decide to show up in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner!

As to a name -- no, MacBeth probably wouldn't do it. What about Banquo? Or Jaques, from "As You Like It"?

20/11/06 6:50 AM  
Blogger PT-LawMom said...

Names:
Bertram "All's Well that Ends Well"
Holden "Catcher in the Rye"
Theseus "Midsummer Night's Dream"
MacBeth "MacBeth"
Ferdinand "Love's Labour's Lost"

Web hosting:
I've had good success with RegisterFly.com

20/11/06 10:23 AM  
Blogger Mary Louisa said...

Well there's always Hamlet's bosom buddy, Horatio--philosopher to Hamlet the dreamer. Plus, Horatio is charged with "telling the tale" to the rest of the world after Hamlet breathes his last. Great job for a chip off the ole block? (Not that I'd want Hamlet to live up to HIS namesake...) ;)

And then there's Fortinbras, another companion/"brother" to Hamlet. Where Hamlet sits back and ponders, Fortinbras acts, and in fact Hamlet casts his dying vote for Fortinbras to take over the crown of Denmark. For all its power, however, "Fortinbras" iS an unwieldy name.

--Professor Geekalicious, signing off...

20/11/06 2:39 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hatadi said...

You could always just register the domain at mydomain.com and get it to point to the webspace that your ISP gave you. That's about $10 a year. You can look at my site http://www.dannyhawaii.com to see what I mean.

As for the blog, how about a name which could be interpreted in a number of ways? Something still Shakespearean, but modern. For example: "What Ho?"

20/11/06 11:21 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Or Fleance, immortalized by a Person intimately known to both of us as "Fleapants" -- which seems singularly appropriate for a newborn or a small child....

22/11/06 4:15 PM  
Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Othello. Or Romeo.

23/11/06 5:53 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Hello?
Hello?

Are you still waiting? ^_^

25/11/06 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home