Monday, March 12, 2007

Ken Bruen Appreciation Day

Sandra has declared March 12 Ken Bruen Appreciation Day, to show support for a very well-known author who is, despite his great successes, nothing but humble and kind to everyone he meets - especially fans and new authors.

I have to admit that I have neither met Mr. Bruen nor read his books (which I am quite embarrassed about, even given my time constraints). However, after reading so much about him, I've put him first on my TBB/TBR list.

What does this have to do with writing and parenting? Maybe not much; I don't even know if Mr. Bruen has children. However, considering that Hamlet has been learning his first lessons about the nasty ways people can treat other people - no matter how nice a person you are, or how well you treat others - I think "nice" is not a quality that should be taken for granted. More importantly, people do exist that we can point to as those our children should emulate. By all accounts, Mr. Bruen is just such a person. That, if nothing else about him, deserves all the appreciation we can give.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Here here Christa.

And yes, Ken knows what it is to be a parent. You might want to read this.

12/3/07 10:34 AM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Thanks so much for linking to that interview, Sandra. The results of one of my blood tests gave Boris a 1:61 chance of having Down Syndrome. He doesn't, but I have a new perspective on it now.

12/3/07 11:44 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Give Hamlet a hug and a kiss from me. Poor kid -- he's so young to learn about nasty people.

12/3/07 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home