Saturday, December 03, 2005

Tag! I'm it!

Mary Louisa tagged me for the first meme I will ever have completed. (By which I mean, Ronn tagged me in early October, the Time of Upheaval that meant I never did get around to it. Is there a time limit on these things?) Anyway, this particular meme means I must list 15 facts about my reading preferences and then tag 3 more people. If I can find three people who read me and haven't already been tagged.
  1. My father taught me to read using J.R.R. Tolkein's The Hobbit.
  2. I soon turned to mysteries: Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Agatha Christie, and P.D. James. In that order.
  3. Madeleine L'Engle is my favorite author of all time. Her books influenced so many of my core beliefs about God, science, and people in general.
  4. I have torn through my husband's entire collection and now thirst for more.
  5. During my son's first few months of life, I rediscovered many of the books in our home collection and read them like a madwoman as I nursed.
  6. I loved libraries as a kid, but I fear my son is more interested in the construction thereof than in being inside them.
  7. Stealing from ML: my son has hundreds of books. I have not counted them, however.
  8. I am very picky about children's literature and tend to steer clear of books I feel are boring or stupid.
  9. As a corollary, I critique children's books while I am reading them to my son. I cannot turn off my internal editor.
  10. Stealing from Nancy Martin: "I have not read Harry Potter. For no other reason than it just doesn’t appeal to me. Let the flame war begin."
  11. I've become bored with our current collection, and intend to ask mostly for books for Christmas.
  12. The last nonfiction book I read was God's Politics by Jim Wallis. (Thanks again, Meagan!) The last fiction book I read was The World According to Garp by John Irving.
  13. My mother forbade me from reading anything by Stephen King while I was growing up, so naturally it was the first aspect of my husband's collection that I jumped into.
  14. The two books that have the most influence on my fiction are House of Sand and Fog (Andre Dubus III) and The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold).
  15. I think it's about time Sebastian Junger released a new book.
So there they are. I tag Ronn, Silandara, and Hope. Happy fact-finding!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Louisa said...

LOVED that Trixie Belden. And Agatha Christie here, too. I'd just steal whatever ones my mom had lying around.

5/12/05 3:28 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Todd said...

Did you end up enjoying King? Have you read The Stand? It is my all time favorite book. :)
Tiff
http://www.xanga.com/neuroticfitchmom

6/12/05 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never did finish that book. I ended up really sick when I tried reading it and have never been able to pick it up again. weird huh?

8/12/05 11:50 AM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

I do enjoy much of King's work. :) To be honest, though, I think his short works are stronger in many ways than the epics. For instance, I found I enjoyed The Mist more than The Stand. I like his earlier novels too - The Shining especially. I think he's best when he gets right into his characters' heads.

8/12/05 5:17 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Hey, you! Been a while since we've heard from you - hope all is well out there in Maine. It's very rainy here in No. CA.

Thinking of you,

~PJ~

21/12/05 1:12 PM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

PJ! I know - I have had WAY TOO much going on. I am sooo looking forward to the new year, though I refuse to make it a resolution to blog more - wouldn't that mean my track record won't improve? ;) Gotta work on them time management skills is all...

And it's very, very cold in Maine. *sighs*

22/12/05 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home