Monday, June 06, 2005

Pure fluff

In honor of the fact that over the last month, I've been avoiding anything that even remotely looks like responsibility (including regular blog entries), I'm posting a "fluff" entry as a way back to the blog.

I made a soundtrack for my novel.

This is a project that actually started about five years ago, when I was driving. A song came on the radio, and I was struck by how closely the lyrics fit the novel I'd been trying to get going for the five years previously. The song was "Where Did You Sleep Last Night," Nirvana's unplugged version of Leadbelly's classic. I even used a phrase from the song - "where the cold wind blows" - as the novel's working title, before deciding it was too generic.

From there, other songs surfaced over the years that seemed to fit. These included Metallica's "The Unforgiven" and a triple whammy from Tom Waits: "Georgia Lee," "Murder in the Red Barn," and most recently, "Don't Go into that Barn." Finally noticing The Smithereens' lyrics for "Blood and Roses" was what made me decide to make the soundtrack, and I was off and running for other songs that fit.

In order of where they fit in the novel:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana
The Unforgiven II - Metallica
The Ties that Bind - Bruce Springsteen
#1 Crush - Garbage
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own - U2
Georgia Lee - Tom Waits
Fear - Sarah McLachlan
I Walk Alone - Los Lobos
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
The Unforgiven - Metallica
Don't Go into that Barn - Tom Waits
Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits
Blood and Roses - The Smithereens

I'm planning on listening to it as I complete this last edit before submission. Inspiration, and all.

Anyone else make soundtracks for their fiction?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ronn McCarrick said...

Oh, hell yeah, I don't think I could write without 'theme music'. A Difficult Dinner has a mix of Kid Rock and Uncle Cracker. Sitting Duct is a more diverse mix of country artists. Deciding on the music is a mostly subconcious part of the prewriting I do.

7/6/05 11:52 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

A large part of why I stopped writing is that I haven't been able to find any theme music to fit it. Music has *always* sparked the ideas.

13/6/05 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home