Tuesday, June 21, 2005

But the house was so quiet...

About ten minutes after the husband and son left the house on Saturday, I sat at my desk with pen in hand (I rewrite in pen, then add in changes) wondering why the words were still not coming.

The house was too quiet.

I just can't win. I need my family around in order to tap into that energy, the little day-to-day conflicts that remind me what my characters face. Too many little conflicts (and too much PBS children's TV - ever tried to concentrate with squeaky little voices and obnoxious music in the background? Or when you are trying to drown out said distractions with headphones and music, only to have your music turn into a distraction?) means work comes as tough as it does in absolute quiet. Much as I love the idea of a week spent in an island cabin or a writers' commune, I know it would kill the creativity.

When I find the solution, I'll be sure to post it. Meantime, that's what readers are for: finding the breaks in fictional logic that indicate obnoxious music was heard here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ronn McCarrick said...

I find that I have the same 'quiet house' issue when my wife leaves with the kids. The words stop flowing and my motivation goes out the window. It's strange how that happens. What you would think would be the best time to write, isn't. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that experiences this phenomena.

21/6/05 11:04 AM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Hey, and it helps *me* to know that it's not just a mommy issue. ;)

22/6/05 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home